ClientThe National Trust for Jersey
16 New Street
16 New Street is one of St. Helier’s finest early Georgian town Houses. Dating from 1740, the building was modernised in the late 18th century and again in the early years of the 19th century before becoming a Gentlemen’s Club, a YMCA and then the soft furnishing workshop of a local department store.
When the building was acquired by the National Trust it was in a dilapidated state. Restoration has included structural repair, the reinstatement of missing joinery and authentic decoration of the interior. A Georgian kitchen has also been recreated. The provision of modern toilets and a kitchen will allow the building to operate as a museum, a function space and a conference centre.