ClientJersey Heritage, States of Jersey Transport & Technical Services Department, States of Jersey Planning Department
Forts and Towers
Jersey – in common with the rest of the Channel Islands – has a wealth of coastal fortifications dating from the 18th to the 20th centuries. Many of these are in States (government) ownership and in 2004 the Planning Department commissioned a report into the possible use of fortifications. In 2005 a joint group comprising the Planning Department, the Public Services Department, the Property Services Department, Jersey Tourism and the Jersey Heritage Trust identified 10 sites that could be converted for use as tourist rental accommodation.
With the help of finance from the Tourism Development Fund and the Public Services Committee, the first 3 sites were opened in spring 2006 and a further 8 have followed, the most recent opening in 2014. The buildings include 7 forts of the period 1770-1830, a 1930s beach house in the shape of a boat and a Second World War naval range-finding tower, later converted to a coast-guard station.
All the buildings have been carefully restored and are now so popular that it is sometimes difficult to find time to carry out maintenance!
La Crete Fort