ClientGrace Dieu Priory Trust
Grace Dieu Priory
Founded 1239-41, Grace Dieu Priory was dissolved in 1538 and converted to a country house. By the early 18th century it had fallen into disrepair. Slow deterioration continued until 1995 when the Grace Dieu Priory Trust was set up to save the ruins. A successful Heritage Lottery Fund bid enabled works of repair and consolidation to be undertaken. Archaeological recording and excavation were undertaken both before and during the repair programme and petrological sampling enabled suitable repair stones to be specified. Soft capping was used to protect wall heads and to help maintain both flora and fauna and the ruinous appearance of the site.
On the edge of the National Forest and linked to the National Cycle Network, the Priory ruins are now used for concerts and other community events, educational trips and very popular ‘Ghost Walks’.