L’Etacquerel Fort was built in 1836 on the East side of Bouley Bay to prevent the French landing there. It originally had 5 guns, 3 on traversing platforms, a dry ditch and loop-holed defensive wall on the land side and a flat roofed guardhouse providing accommodation for an officer and soldiers. Although used for camping in the years after the Second World War, the fort became known as a location for unofficial raves and parties in the later years of the 20th Century.
In 2005 a decision was taken to restore the building and use it for holiday rental accommodation. Masonry repairs were carried out to collapsed sections of curtain walls, invasive plant growth was removed from wall heads and the flat roof over the barrack rooms was recovered with a lime mortar slab. A composting toilet was built on the site of the former latrines and a pump fitted to the rainwater cistern. The site is now popular for parties, barbecues and still provides a rich coastal habitat for wall lizards, lichens and plants.