The Jermyn Arms
Homes of Lord Jermyn (as in Jermyn Street in London’s West End) were carved in 1648 in Chausey granite by a mason from Saint Malo, and was originally installed in the Royal Court building in St Helier. The courthouse was rebuilt in 1768 and the arms were built into the rear wall of 17 Le Geyt Street, a modest house of the early 19th Century.
The stone is now in friable condition and is being moved to the collection of La Societe Jersiaise, which is held at Jersey’s museum. We have applied for listed building consent for the work and the arms should be removed for conservation in the spring.